Smaller families, which are becoming more common in the U.S., offer unique joys and challenges.
Tips for raising an only child:
- Help form friendships. Give your child opportunities to interact with other children through play dates, activities, or preschool.
- Keep splurging to a minimum. Set limits and avoid overindulging your child with gifts and activities.
- Teach social skills. Show how to share, be considerate, and compromise with others.
- Set clear boundaries. Take time away from your child for yourself.
- Have and realistic expectations. Learn about child development and know what to expect (and not to expect) from your child at every age.
- Foster independence. Give your child responsibilities and teach her how to occupy herself with activities.