Well-child visits are routine checkups to look at your child’s growth and development. They are different from visits for a specific illness, such as a cold, ear infection, or other medical concern.
Your health care provider completes a physical exam and does other screenings depending on your child’s age. If any immunizations are recommended for your child’s age, your provider also offers these.
Recommended well-child visits through age 4:
- Within 2-5 days after your baby is born if this is your first baby.
- Within 1 to 2 weeks if you’ve had a baby before. (This may vary by provider.)
- Scheduled visits should happen at 1 month, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 15 months, 18 months, 2 years, 2 and 1/2 years, 3 years, and 4 years.
Benefits of well-child visits:
- Prevention of childhood diseases by regular visits and immunizations.
- Keeping track of growth and development of your child during each visit.
- Opportunity to raise any concerns you have about your child’s health and development.
- Connecting you to community resources and support networks.