Running errands (like grocery shopping) can be a fun family time:
- Consider timing. As much as you can, run errands when your child is well-rested.
- Allow plenty of time. Doing any activity with children is typically not a quick event.
- Bring something familiar, such as a toy, blanket, or book from home.
- Go with a list. This can help you and your child stay focused.
- Celebrate good behavior. Take your child to the park on another family activity after running errands.
- Be prepared to check out and leave with the items you have if your shopping trip is not going well. Or just pick up quick necessities.
- With babies, talk Make eye contact.
- For older babies and toddlers, bring or buy a quick snack like fruit, so they have something to eat while waiting or shopping. Play the color game; see how many things of one color you can spot.
- With preschoolers, play interactive games like the letter game; how many things do you see that begin with a certain letter? For example: B – bread, broccoli, bananas.