Breastfeeding can come with great joys and benefits. Support from partners or family members can make all the difference!
Ways to make breastfeeding easier for a breastfeeding mom:
- Allow her to relax and get enough rest. When she is not breastfeeding, suggest that she take a nap or do something she enjoys while you tend to the infant’s needs.
- Bring the baby to her during feeding times. Being a team throughout the night can make breastfeeding less stressful.
- Help out with household chores.
- Provide extra help in caring for babies, such as bathing, clothing changes, and diaper changes.
- Show the mom appreciation and let her know you value her. Do something special, like treat her to a massage, or take the baby for a walk so she can enjoy a long bath or shower.
- Remind her about the importance and benefits of breastfeeding. Be her cheerleader, but at the same time avoid pressuring or pushing her to breastfeed.
- Help make sure she is drinking enough fluids (at least 8 cups a day). It takes great hydration and extra calories to produce milk for a baby.
- Help the mom pump and store breast milk, so you can bottle feed the baby even without formula.