If there’s a chance you could get pregnant (even without trying), your health is extra important.
When you’re healthy, you can help your child (even an unplanned one) have a strong foundation for a healthy life.
Ways to help you and your future baby be healthy:
- Take a multi-vitamin that contains folic acid, which helps unborn babies’ nervous systems develop.
- Keep a healthy diet and be physically active.
- Talk to your health care provider about screening and managing any health conditions you may have.
- Visit your health care provider at the recommended times for physical checkups.
- Look at the medications and other substances that are entering your body and the effects they could have on your unborn child.
- If you smoke, give it up. NDQuits (1.800.QUIT.NOW) has a lot of free options to help you quit smoking.
- Stop using any alcohol or drugs. Call FirstLink at 2-1-1 for info on programs that can help you quit drinking or using.
- Use contraception correctly and consistently if you are sexually active, could become pregnant, and wish to prevent pregnancy.