Raising children as a stay-at-home parent is a challenging job that is not always recognized, because it is not a paid position.
Children of stay-at-home parents often benefit from more healthy food choices and opportunities for play.
Tips for stay-at-home parents:
- Keep the same general routine. This can motivate you and also help your child know what to expect.
- Seek out interactions with other adults. Story time at the library, playgrounds, or community groups can be good places to meet other parents.
- Don’t worry about being a perfect parent. This can stress you out. Your child needs you to love and take care of him, not be perfect.
- Accept help from others. Many cultures around the world say “it takes a village to raise a child.” Since most of us no longer live in villages, we have to create our own villages by reaching out to others.
- Take care of yourself, which helps you stay strong and healthy for your child.
- Give yourself credit for the work you do. It can be hard to remember how important the job of raising a child is when you don’t see a paycheck.
- If you need information, look around more on this site. You can find everything from how your child is developing to great play ideas.
- Running a household on one budget can be difficult. Different types of financial help may be available, and there are ways to make your budget stretch.